Martens Family Science Scholarship

2017 Application Link

The deadline for application has passed for 2017. Thank you!

The Martens Family Science Scholarship is given by the Martens family in memory of former Plainfield resident Fred Martens. Mr. Martens was a nuclear engineer at Argonne Labs.

The Martens Family Science Scholarship will award $2,500 annually to one student from each of District 202’s four traditional high schools. Plainfield Academy students are also encouraged to apply through their home high school.

Recipients will be chosen based on grades, financial need and acceptance and proof of full time enrollment at an acceptable institution.

Applicants must:

• Plan to major in a STEM-related field (physical or life science, engineering, or math) at a fully accredited state or private university, preferably in Illinois)
  • Plan to major in a field that offers a doctorate degree in their chosen field;
  • Upload required materials including:

o   A copy of current transcript through the first semester/senior year;

o   A letter of reference from a science teacher affirming his/her merit and intention to continue studying science;

o   A personal statement of at least 500 words describing yourself, your interest in science, and your professional goals in relation to your major. Include an explanation of your financial needs.

Students are strongly encouraged to contact their high school guidance counselors for information about this scholarship and many other opportunities.

2017 Recipients

PLAINFIELD HIGH SCHOOL – CENTRAL CAMPUS
Jacob Hawkins – planning to major in aerospace engineering at the University of Illinois, Purdue or MIT

PLAINFIELD SOUTH HIGH SCHOOL
James Fox -planning to major in biomedical engineering at Northwestern University or Washington University of St. Louis

PLAINFIELD NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
Robert Sparks – planning to major in bioengineering at Stanford University

PLAINFIELD EAST HIGH SCHOOL
Apoorva Josyula – planning to major in computer engineering at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana