High School Junior Horizon Grant

2018 Application

The Foundation for Excellence is pleased to announce that Horizon Grant applications are now available. The Horizon Grant is designed to help high school juniors explore areas of talent or interest during the summer between the junior and senior year. The Horizon Grant will fund summer experiences in areas such as art, music, theater, dance, science, mathematics, literature, technology, civic engagement or student leadership.

Students often must enroll in their chosen summer programs in early spring. Therefore the Horizon Grant is awarded retroactively as a reimbursement to the party responsible for paying the enrollment fee – usually the parent(s).

Up to $1,000 will be awarded to each of five students to help fund out of district summer learning experiences designed to enrich, enhance and expand student awareness of and participation in a focused area of study.

Students will be encouraged to explore areas of interest and broaden their horizons through workshops, classes, field studies, internships or conferences.   The Foundation is happy to encourage Plainfield high school students to pursue excellence by participating in summer studies of topics that mesh with student talents and interests.

Last summer, seven high school juniors were able to take part in enriching learning experiences because of the Horizon Grant. These students traveled to Rhode Island, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and to various locations here in Illinois for summer study opportunities in their fields of interest. What horizons would you like to explore?

Let the Horizon Grant help you expand your vision of what’s possible.

The 2017 Horizon Grant winners are:

Justin Evans (Plainfield North High School) — plans to attend the “Coca-Cola Pre-College Leadership Program” in Atlanta, Georgia.

Maritza Gallegos (Plainfield South High School) — plans to attend the Summer Science Program on Astrophysics at the New Mexico Institute of Technology in Socorro, New Mexico

Sylvia Knight (Plainfield High School-Central Campus) — plans to attend Purdue University’s “Seminar for Top Engineering Prospects” in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Christopher Koeppen (Plainfield Academy) — plans to attend the “Summer Music Camp” program at McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, Minnesota.

Mattie Levy (Plainfield East High School) — plans to attend the “MPulse Performing Arts Oboe Institute” at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Grace Michel (Plainfield South High School) — plans to attend the “Camp Neuro” at Rush Medical College in Chicago.

Sarah Trusk (Plainfield North High School) — plans to attend “Camp Cardiac” at Rush Medical College in Chicago.

Cailey Zack (Plainfield East High School) — plans to attend the “Cadaver Dissection and Amazing Brain Program” at Augustana College’s Summer Academy in Rock Island, Illinois.

The 2016 Horizon Grant winners are:

Caitlin Arquines (Plainfield East High School)
Attended Berklee College of Music’s Five Week Summer Performance Program in Boston.

James P. Fox Jr. (Plainfield South High School)
Attended Milwaukee School of Engineering’s “Discover the Possibilities” program for health-related science and engineering.

Victoria-Jo Gapuz (Plainfield South High School)
Attended the “Camp Neuro” program about brain research at Rush Medical College in Chicago.

Alexander Konczak (Plainfield North High School)
Attended the United States Naval Academy Summer Seminar in Annapolis, Maryland.

Kyle McCoy (Plainfield East High School)
Attended the 2016 Career Discovery Program in Architecture at the University of Notre Dame.

Emily Schroeder (Plainfield North High School)
Attended the Math and Science Scholars program at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Benjamin Thoms (Plainfield South High School)
Attended the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Fire Science program at the University of Wisconsin in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.